- Actos Bladder Cancer Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Zithromax Z-Pak Azithromycin Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Zoloft & SSRI Antidepressant Birth Defect Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Stevens Johnson (SJS) & Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Unum/UnumProvident Disability Insurance Claim Denial Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Metal on Metal Replacement Hip Implant Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Mesothelioma Asbestos Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Dilantin Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Quinolone Lawsuit: Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox Liver Failure, SJS Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Lipitor Diabetes Lawsuit: Lipitor Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Testosterone Product Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Risperdal Gynecomastia Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Xarelto Side Effects Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Monday, 24 September 2012 15:03
Zithromax Z-Pak Side Effects Dangerous for COPD Sufferers
By John Curran
When doctors prescribe medications “off-label,” or for non-approved uses, it can be extremely dangerous for patients. While news outlets and health safety watchdogs often link Zithromax side effects to the conditions doctors use it to treat, doctors don’t always keep up with new treatments.
That’s now the case with COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Since there is a small component of the syndrome that is caused by bacteria, some doctors are prescribing azithromycin (also known as Zithromax or Z-Pak) in spite of the many side effects of Z-Pak. According to a recent study published in The New England Journal of Medicine, users of Z-Pak, Zithromax or azithromycin are twice as likely to die from sudden heart-related problems compared to people taking amoxicillin or not taking an antibiotic at all. Since irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) and heart failure can be a side effect of COPD, taking Zithromax may actually exacerbate COPD side effects and increase the risk of heart attack or cardiac death.
While some medical experts are calling the recommended Z-Pak dosage of 250 mg “relatively low,” it’s actually a common dosage for a three-to-five day course of antibiotics for many common infections. It’s unclear, then, how the risk for Zithromax heart attack side effects would be reduced if the dosage was reduced for COPD patients.
The risk of Z-Pak heart attack or cardiac death is even more concerning because of how COPD affects patients. They already have breathing difficulties and infected lungs, and are at risk for heart problems – a side effect of Z-Pak. Doctors are aware of this side effect and the fact that Zithromax heart attack lawsuit attorneys are working on thousands of cases, yet they don’t always inform COPD patients about the cardiovascular side effects of Z-Pak, Zithromax and azithromycin when prescribing it.
It’s not just new treatment options that could lead to unwanted Zithromax side effects. Sometimes it’s a simple case of forgetting basic biology.
Antibiotics work by attacking living organisms, which is where they get their name. Yet doctors are prescribing medications and putting patients at risk for Zithromax cardiovascular side effects when the drug can’t and won’t be effective. Specifically, the Z-Pak is often prescribed for cases of strep throat. Unfortunately, new information from the Infectious Diseases Society of America indicates that most instances of strep throat are caused by a virus. Viruses aren’t technically living beings, so patients get all of the Z-Pak side effects with none of the relief.
In addition to cardiovascular problems, Zithromax has also been linked to Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, liver failure, trachoma, blindness, eye infection and heart attack.
If you were prescribed Zithromax and suffered an undisclosed side effect, you can get help. Visit the Zithromax, Z-Pak, Azithromycin Heart Attack, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome & Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis Class Action Lawsuit Settlement & Investigation to learn more. While there, you can fill out a simple form to connect with a qualified Zithromax heart attack side effect class action lawsuit attorney. You’ll get a free consultation to better understand how your specific situation affects any potential legal remedy. It’s time to get on track regardless of Z-Pak side effects, so get your no-cost case review for free.
Updated September 24th, 2012
All medical device, dangerous drug and medical class action and lawsuit news updates are listed in the Drug and Medical Device section of Top Class Actions.
Top Class Actions Legal Statement